The ASM seeks applications from senior-level graduate students and early-career postdoctoral scientists for the 2015 ASM Scientific Writing and Publishing Institute. The Institute will be held at ASM Headquarters in Washington, DC March 19 - 22, 2015.
The Institute will provide four days of face to face hands-on intensive coaching and training in scientific writing and publishing under mentorship of ASM Journal editors and reviewers. Groups of four to six participants will be paired with one experienced mentor from their field to provide individual critique and resources. The Institute is limited to 24 participants.
The goal of the Institute is to provide intensive coaching and closely guided experience in five key areas:
- Writing and submitting manuscripts
- Writing a great abstract and title
- Selecting a journal for submission; strategically suggesting an editor and reviewers
- Responding to reviewer comments
- Learning how to be a good reviewer
After finishing the Institute, participants will have a detailed plan for improving their draft manuscript, hands-on experience in critiquing abstracts and manuscripts, a network of peers and mentors to share critiques and advice, and tools and resources for developing future manuscripts and abstracts.
Requirements for Participation
Upon acceptance to the Institute, participants will be required to:
- Register for the Institute
- Arrange for their own travel to and from the Institute
- Complete all the required pre-Institute readings and assignments
- Prepare and submit a double spaced draft manuscript, plus drafts of figures and table, of which the participant is the 1st author (by February 20, 2015)
- Participate in the entire Institute
This preparatory work is required as it provides a solid foundation for enhancing one's training and providing the maximum benefits from the Institute. Each manuscript will be reviewed by other participants and the mentor to allow constructive criticism. Participants are asked to bring their own laptop computers to the Institute for preparing and sharing their work.
The 2015 ASM Scientific Writing and Publishing Institute will be held at the ASM Headquarters at 1752 N Street NW, Washington, DC.
Sponsorship and Credentials
The ASM Scientific Writing and Publishing Institute is sponsored by the ASM Committee on Graduate and Post-doctoral Education of the ASM Education Board. The ASM Education Board is a recipient of the 2000 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mentoring in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Education. The Board was recognized by President Clinton for its contribution to graduate education.
The topic, Why Write, presented by ASM President Roberto Kolter, opened up the 2010 Institute at ASM in Washington, DC, March 18 - 21.
December 10, 2014