The ASM is proud to announce the rebranding of the ASM Kadner Institute, now known as the ASM Grant Writing Course. In an effort to meet the growing need for guidance and support on grant applications, ASM will be providing graduate students, postdoctoral scientists, and early career scientists the opportunity to receive in-depth coaching and feedback on their grant proposals in a one on one and small group setting.
Date: August 12-14, 2016
Location: ASM Headquarters, Washington, DC
The application deadline is June 30, 2016
The goal of the on-site course is to provide an intensive and closely guided experience in grant preparation, review, and critiques.
Participants will have an opportunity to enhance their skills in the area of grant writing and scientific communication and to participate in a rigorous, yet enjoyable and constructive experience with both peers and senior microbiologists who have been successful in the grant writing enterprise and also serve on review panels.
- Hands-on experience in preparation, review and personalized guidance of a research grant application and presentations
- Be guided in small groups by faculty members.
- Be expected to develop a brief grant proposal and a research presentation from their own research activities or another topic of their choice.
- Receive both group and individual advice on effective scientific communication in these formats. Each research proposal will be reviewed by other participants and the faculty, allowing constructive criticisms of the presentation and a scientific review of the proposal. Discussion, workshops and practical advice will be provided in teaching and presentation techniques, allowing opportunity for constructive review and improvement.
Upon acceptance to the course, participants will be required to:
- Register for the course
- Arranage travel to and from course
- Complete all pre-course readings and assignments
- Prepare a 10 page preliminary proposal for funding their research
- Present a 10-12 minute PowerPoint presentation of their research
- Participate in the entire course
This preparatory work is required as it provides a solid foundation for enhancing one's training and benefiting from the course. Participants are asked to bring their own laptop computers to the course for preparing and sharing their work.
Sponsorship and Credentials
The ASM Grant Writing Course is managed by the American Society for Microbiology and is sponsored by the ASM-NSF Leaders Inspiring Networks and Knowledge (LINK) Program, and the Burroughs Wellcome Fund. The ASM Education Board is a recipient of the 2000 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mentoring in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Education. The Board was recognized by President Clinton for its contribution to graduate education.
A Comprehensive Report of The ASM Kadner Institute (2001-2012)
This report, developed in 2013, highlights 300+ ASM Kadner Institute participants' achievements and accomplishments since attending the Institute.